Back in 1977 when we bought
the cottage on the wild hillside, we never dreamed that we would
be welcoming visitors from around the globe to our little corner
of the world. Visitors who were already coming to see Steven's
art were also amazed by the artist's garden. Encouraged by Provincial
tourism officials and a promise to include Crocker Hill in the
official guide to New Brunswick, we opened our garden to the
public in 1987.
For eleven years until it closed in 1997, prominent travel
guides including Frommers, Fodors and National Geographic guide
to Canada featured Crocker Hill as a tourism destination.
The following is a list of publications in which we have been
featured. There are numerous other stories done locally as well
as internationally that are not listed below. Additionally, Steven's
wide-ranging skill from stone carving to garden design have been
profiled nationally on CBC-TV's Midday and Discovery Channel's
Harrowsmith Country Life.
- Victoria Magazine, July / August 2010 "A Historical
Hideaway: St. Andrews by-the-Sea
launch issue January 27, 2007 "The
Secret World of Steven Smith"
- Gardening Life, Canada's magazine for the gardener. Jan/Feb
- Home Business Report, Summer 1999 "An Eye for Beauty
and a Nose for Business"
- Gardening Life Magazine, Spring 1999 "Pick of the Crop,
an insider's guide to Canada's best garden shops"
- The New Brunswick Reader, June 13, 1998 "Down East of
Eden", the cover story
- Victoria Magazine, April, 1998 "A Peaceable Kingdom
- The Ottawa Citizen, April 11, 1998, "New Brunswick gardens
lure feathered guests"
- CBC-TV Midday Program June 16, 1997
- Harrowsmith Country Life television program Jan. 17, 1997
- Harrowsmith Country Life Fall Special Television Special,
Oct. 8, 1996
- Canadian Gardening Magazine June/July 1996 "Birds in
- The Globe and Mail, Great Garden series, "Artist's Slope
Can Grow on You" July 15, 1995
- Reader's Digest Back Roads and Getaway Places of Canada,
1994, "A Serene Garden by the St. Croix"
- David Tarrent's Canadian Gardens, Whitecap Books, Nov. 1994
- The New Brunswick Reader, Nov. 26, 1994, "The Fertile
Ground of Crocker Hill"
- Canadian Living Magazine, Jan. 1993, "The Secrets of
- Business of the Year, 1991 Awarded by St. Stephen Chamber of
Commerce "in recognition of outstanding performance as a small
business including major international publicity leading to
increased clientele and contribuiting to an enhanced image for
the community as a whole"
- Food & Wine Magazine, June, 1991, "A Canadian Coastal
- Country Living Magazine, May, 1991 "Herbalists' Retreat"
- Canadian Gardening Magazine, Feb/Mar 1991, "Hillside
Dream", cover story
- The Atlantic Advocate, April 1990, "Planning A Paradise"
- On The Road Again, CBC-TV Jan. 1990
- The Atlantic Advocate, Dec. 1989, "Christmas At Crocker
- Telegraph Journal, Aug. 8, 1987 "St. Stephen's Crocker Hill
Gardens Is No Ordinary Spot" by travel writer, Colleen Thompson
"It's more like a nature canvas, a new path along which artist,
Steven Smith has chosen to travel."
There have been numerous other newspaper
articles as well as travel guides including Frommers, Fodors and The
National Geographic Guide to Canada.